Monday, December 20, 2010

A mother's love, a child's need

I can think of nothing worse than having to give my child up. Or not being able to protect my child from some unimaginable harm, or watching him starve because I have no money to feed him. Yet that is the choice that so many mothers face every day. Truly, can there be anything more devastating?

I just watched a movie called "The Brave Heart of Irena Trendel". The story is of a Polish social worker who saved 2,500 Jewish children during the holocaust by placing them in Christian homes. I sat there, holding my sweet 10-week old in my arms - so precious, so completely innocent - and watched mothers put their little babies into tool boxes and wheelbarrows so that they could be smuggled out of the Jewish ghetto. I felt as though my whole body was weeping with the emotion of it all.

And the quote that has been ringing in my ears for the past few weeks now came back: All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

I don't want evil to succeed. I believe we can do something. Join me in taking a stand this season. Help a mother or family in need in whatever way you can, be that a R5 coin or a bag of groceries or a little toy for their kids. We are blessed with so much - let's bless others too.

If you would like to do something to help a child out but don't know what to do, drop me a line and I'll give you details about a baby's home I'm trying to help out. Let's change a life this Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Leis. There is so much need it's heartbreaking. We did a gift of making drinking water safe for 5 children through an agency here. Can you believe some children don't even have safe drinking water!?

    ReplyDelete